A refrigerator is an essential appliance in every home. It keeps food fresh and is a must-have for people looking to complement their busy lifestyles. It also provides cool water to quench your thirst, which is no less than a blessing during the hot summertime. Unfortunately, a lot of people don’t pay as much attention to keeping it clean as they do with their dishes and counters or other areas of their homes.
Because of this, it can become a hub of bacteria, mold, and other germs. The bacteria on your food will grow quickly, and if you don’t clean out your refrigerator every week or so, it can build up and make you very ill. A dirty fridge can cause food to spoil faster and also shoot up your energy bills. This is why you should also make sure that you clean out your refrigerator at very least once a month.
This will help ensure it works well and the food inside stays fresh. Here are some tips on how one can clean their refrigerator and what to do if you are looking for refrigerator repair in Arlington.
Reasons to Clean Out Your Refrigerator Regularly
You worked the whole day and made the most delicious cake possible for your child’s birthday party later in the night, only to find out that the cake lost its taste due to bad refrigeration performance. If you had just placed emphasis on regularly cleaning your fridge, your hard work wouldn’t have gone to waste. Spoiled food can make you sick, which can also lead to an increase in medical bills.
There are dangerous bacteria living on your kitchen counters that could make their way into the fridge via cooking sponges left sitting near open water bottles. If those bacteria get into your food, they’ll multiply quickly and can lead to your family becoming sick. This reduces your immunity levels and harms the digestive system.
How to Clean a Refrigerator?
- Firstly, you need to unplug the refrigerator to avoid any chances of electrocution. Open the freezer door and remove shelves by pulling them out. Remove any racks or dividers inside the fridge.
- Take out all the food in the refrigerator. Clean the refrigerator with a dry cloth. If there are any spills, then use a wet sponge to clean them up.
- Wipe down all surfaces with a damp cloth to remove dirt, spills, and dust buildup, then wash with detergent and water if needed.
- Clean out all of the shelves once a month to get rid of any mold or bacteria that has accumulated in them over time. Wash walls and cabinets with soap every week. If there is a lot of grease on the walls and cabinets, use a washcloth dampened with warm water and dishwashing detergent to wipe down those areas.
- If there are hard stains, then use natural ingredients like lemon juice and vinegar. You just need to mix two parts vinegar with one part water and use it to clean the refrigerator door or any other surface that has stains on it. You can also use baking sodato clean off tougher stains inside your refrigerator.
- Dusting the coils in a refrigerator is an often-overlooked part of refrigerator maintenance. Not doing so can lead to several problems, including a buildup of dirt and dust that may cause the coils to overheat. In some cases, this can lead to a fire. Homeowners need to dust their refrigerator coils regularly so that they don’t experience these types of problems.
- It also is important to clean the exterior of a fridge because it is often overlooked and can become a breeding ground for bacteria. There are many ways to clean the outside of your fridge, but the most common way is to use a damp cloth and soap or water. You can also make use of an all-purpose cleaner. Make sure that you don’t use any kind of abrasive material on the surface, as this may damage it.
- Water filters are essential for a refrigerator to function properly. They help remove contaminants and impurities from the water that can cause corrosion in the appliance. It is important to replace a water filter at least once every six months or so, as they can wear out over time. This will ensure that your refrigerator is clean and running well.
- Manually defrost your freezer at least annually. To do this simply unplug and let ice melt on its own. You can also use a hairdryer or a vacuum cleaner for this step.
Things to Be Mindful Of
With so many things on their minds keeping track of leftovers doesn’t rank highly on priority. This is where an eraser board can help. You can use it to write down the date of leftovers every time you put them in the fridge. Don’t keep leftover food for more than four days. By throwing it out, you will also help keep your fridge organized. Keep a close watch on the dates on the food packages. This will help you determine which food is fresh and which is stale.
Store milk, meats, and eggs on inner shelves as this protects them from the fluctuation of temperature during opening and closing. You’ll want to store perishable foods like dairy products and meats in the back of the fridge rather than directly on shelves where they’re exposed to air currents all day long. It’s best to only store condiments such as hot sauce and ketchup in the door of the fridge.
Leave the meat in a plastic grocery bag as this helps prevent juices from leaking and creating a mess in the fridge. Make use of binder clips to close bags of things like chips and grated cheese. This helps to prevent spillage. Make use of plastic to store things like cheese or eggs. Egg cubbyholes are also a great source of organizing things like squeeze bottles in the fridge door.
Make designated shelves to store different types of goods. This will help you to find goods faster and avoid a mess. The discipline also helps teach your children about the merits of good organization skills, which will serve them well in their personal and professional lives down the line. Put plastic placemats on the fridge shelves. They are easier to clean and a lot easier on the back. Simply take the mats out a few times in the week and wash them in the sink.
You should also make sure that all of your food items are covered before putting them into the fridge because they might absorb smells from other foods around them or even outside air if there happen to be any leakages in the house or elsewhere in the building itself. Make a rule to never have plates or cups as storage. Make use of proper storage containers with lids for storing food.
Only have one bottle of ketchup, mayo, mustard, or salad dressing in the fridge at one time. Move unopened bottles to the pantry. Ground meats and raw poultry should be moved to the freezer after staying in the fridge for a day or two tops.
Vegetable and Fruits Storage
Don’t store vegetables and fruits in grocery bags as this will lead to them spoiling faster. Store them in a plastic basket. And if you don’t wash off any dirt from vegetables before putting them in the fridge, they’ll turn brown and start to rot faster. There are a lot of things that do need refrigeration, like potatoes. Move them to the cabinet.
Signs That Your Fridge Is Not Working Properly
- If you feel that the freezer is not cooling enough then, this could be a sign of a fault. Refrigeratorsthat don’t cool properly usually have water standing outside them on the floor. This could pose a safety hazard as well, especially if you have an elderly child in your family. You should check the temperature settings by placing a thermometer in a cup of water and placing it for 12 hours on the middle shelf of your fridge. If the temperature is below 40 F, then could be some underlying problem. Get it fixed as soon as possible to prevent your food from rotting and escalating energy bills.
- Similarly, if you notice moldgrowing on any of your food items or If you notice that your food smells bad, then inside of your refrigerator, then there might be a problem, and time to call in professional help.
- If you hear rushing or clicking noises coming from inside the freezer or refrigerator, then something needs to be fixed immediately.
- There is frost or ice buildup on the inside of the freezer or refrigerator cabinet door. This could mean that there is a problem with the temperature control.
- If you notice condensation, then this is a sign that there might be an issue with the rubber seal of the door. It’s best to call a serviceman to help replace or fix it accurately.
- If you notice any of these signs, contact an appliance repair professional as soon as possible so they can examine the unit and determine if there’s anything they can do to fix it before it gets worse! They could help you to clean it regularly and replace any parts that are broken or worn out.
The coils are a part of the refrigerator that makes it work. They heat up and cool down to keep the temperature inside at a constant level. If the coils feel too hot, then there could be a problem with the refrigerator.
What to Look for in a Refrigeration Repair Company?
There are many factors to consider, including cost, experience, location, and customer reviews. A good way to find a reputable refrigeration repair company is by asking friends or family members who they use or by searching online for reviews of local companies specializing in this type of work. You must hire a company that has the right experience. Take the time out to do thorough research by looking at a company’s reviews. Otherwise, you could end up spending a lot of money without getting the refrigerator fixed in the first place.
Affordable Appliances Repairs in Washington DC
A refrigerator is the heart of the kitchen. If you fear that your fridge may be on its last legs, then we at S & E Appliance Repairs can help. Our reliable service ensures your fridge stays optimal state in Washington and the DC Metro Area. We also help repair subzero refrigerators, dryers, garbage disposal, dishwashers, and ovens in Bethesda, Springfield, Arlington, Alexandria, or Fairfax. Our honest staff helps you determine where exactly there is a fault in your refrigerator so that it can be taken care of it as soon as possible
Our friendly staff ensures appliance repair in Bethesda, MD, without any hassle. We also charge no extra fees for emergency repair services. Our staff is available 24/7, 365, and will go the extra mile ensure you’re satisfied. Visit our website for a free quote today.